[openstack-dev] [Octavia] Minutes from 8/13/2014 meeting

Doug Wiegley dougw at a10networks.com
Mon Aug 18 22:46:16 UTC 2014

I agree almost completely with Brandon¹s comments on the incubator.

For Octavia, I think we need to not stress neutron vs incubator vs
spin-out, and just focus on writing some load-balancing code.  We¹ve spent
far too much time in Juno working on processes, glue, and APIs, and
precious little on moving packets around or adding LB features.  And if we
re-focus now on processes, glue, and APIs, I think we¹ll be missing the
mark.

I certainly don¹t hate the neutron cores; quite the opposite.  But what I
absolutely *NEED* is a fairly predictable process for where/how code will
land, and what sorts of resources it will take to get there. It is very
difficult right now to plan/evangelize company resources, when the rules
are almost constantly in flux. Or appear to be so, from an outside
perspective.

Review cycles are a huge issue.  Of course, adding a bunch of reviewers is
not a recipe for an increase in stability.

I¹m not going to focus overly much on the incubator process needing to be
perfect.  It lives or dies with people, their judgement, and their good
faith effort to see all of this stuff succeed.  If others are not bringing
good faith to the table, then it¹s not something that any process is going
to fix.

Thanks,
doug