[openstack-dev] [neutron][all] switch from mysqldb to another eventlet aware mysql client

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Aug 18 08:59:47 UTC 2014

Hash: SHA512

On 17/08/14 02:09, Angus Lees wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2014 06:09, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com 
> <mailto:doug at doughellmann.com>> wrote:
>> On Aug 15, 2014, at 9:29 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka
>> <ihrachys at redhat.com
> <mailto:ihrachys at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>> Signed PGP part Some updates on the matter:
>>> - oslo-spec was approved with narrowed scope which is now
>>> 'enabled mysqlconnector as an alternative in gate' instead of
>>> 'switch the default db driver to mysqlconnector'. We'll revisit
>>> the switch part the next cycle once we have the new driver
>>> running in gate and real benchmarking is heavy-lifted.
>>> - there are several patches that are needed to make devstack
>>> and tempest passing deployment and testing. Those are collected
>>> under the hood of: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114207/ Not
>>> much of them.
>>> - we'll need a new oslo.db release to bump versions (this is
>>> needed to set raise_on_warnings=False for the new driver, which
>>> was incorrectly set to True in sqlalchemy till very recently).
>>> This is expected to be released this month (as per Roman
>>> Podoliaka).
>> This release is currently blocked on landing some changes in
>> projects
> using the library so they don?t break when the new version starts
> using different exception classes. We?re tracking that work in 
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sqla_exceptions_caught
>> It looks like we?re down to 2 patches, one for cinder
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/111760/) and one for glance 
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/109655). Roman, can you verify
> that those are the only two projects that need changes for the
> exception issue?
>>> - once the corresponding patch for sqlalchemy-migrate is
>>> merged, we'll also need a new version released for this.
> So we're going for a new version of sqlalchemy?  (We have a
> separate workaround for raise_on_warnings that doesn't require the
> new sqlalchemy release if this brings too many other issues)

Wrong. We're going for a new version of *sqlalchemy-migrate*. Which is
the code that we inherited from Mike and currently track in stackforge.

>>> - on PyPI side, no news for now. The last time I've heard from
>>> Geert (the maintainer of MySQL Connector for Python), he was
>>> working on this. I suspect there are some legal considerations
>>> running inside Oracle. I'll update once I know more about
>>> that.
>> If we don?t have the new package on PyPI, how do we plan to
>> include it
> in the gate? Are there options to allow an exception, or to make
> the mirroring software download it anyway?
> We can test via devstack without waiting for pypi, since devstack
> will install via rpms/debs.

I expect that it will be settled. I have no indication that the issue
is unsolvable, it will just take a bit more time than we're accustomed
to. :)

At the moment, we install MySQLdb from distro packages for devstack.
Same applies to new driver. It will be still great to see the package
published on PyPI so that we can track its version requirements
instead of relying on distros to package it properly. But I don't see
it as a blocker.

Also, we will probably be able to run with other drivers supported by
SQLAlchemy once all the work is done.

> - Gus
> _______________________________________________ OpenStack-dev
> mailing list OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org 
> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.22 (Darwin)


More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list