[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Nadya Privalova nprivalova at mirantis.com
Sun Aug 17 18:11:34 UTC 2014

Hello all,

As a Ceilometer's core, I'd like to add my 0.02$.

During previous discussions it was mentioned several projects which were
started or continue to be developed after Ceilometer became integrated. The
main question I'm thinking of is why it was impossible to contribute into
existing integrated project? Is it because of Ceilometer's architecture,
the team or there are some other (maybe political) reasons? I think it's a
very sad situation when we have 3-4 Ceilometer-like projects from different
companies instead of the only one that satisfies everybody. (We don't see
it in other projects. Though, maybe there are several Novas os Neutrons on
StackForge and I don't know about it...)
Of course, sometimes it's much easier to start the project from scratch.
But there should be strong reasons for doing this if we are talking about
integrated project.
IMHO the idea, the role is the most important thing when we are talking
about integrated project. And if Ceilometer's role is really needed (and I
think it is) then we should improve existing implementation, "merge" all
needs into the one project and the result will be still Ceilometer.

Thanks,
Nadya