[openstack-dev] Enabling silent Docker tests for Nova?

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Sat Aug 16 07:56:13 UTC 2014

+1

From: Eric Windisch <ewindisch at docker.com<mailto:ewindisch at docker.com>>
Date: Friday, August 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM
To: OpenStack List <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: [openstack-dev] Enabling silent Docker tests for Nova?

I have proposed a _silent_ check for Nova for integration of the Docker driver:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114547/

It has been established that this code cannot move back into Nova until the tests are running and have a solid history of success. That cannot happen unless we're allowed to run the tests. Running a silent check on changes to Nova is the first step in establishing that history.

Joe Gordon suggests we need a spec to bring the driver back into Nova. Besides the fact that specs are closed and there is no intention of reintegrating the driver for Juno, I'm uncertain of proposing a spec without first having solid history of successful testing, especially given the historical context of this driver's relationship with Nova.

If we could enable silent checks, we could help minimize API skew and branch breakages, improving driver quality and reducing maintenance while we prepare for the Kilo spec + merge windows. Furthermore, by having a history of testing, we can seek faster inclusion into Kilo.

Finally, I acknowledge that we may be entering a window of significant load on the CI servers and I'm sensitive to the needs of the infrastructure team to remain both focused and to conserve precious compute resources. If this is an issue, then I'd like to plot a timeline, however rough, with the infrastructure team.

--
Regards,
Eric Windisch