[openstack-dev] OS or os are not acronyms for OpenStack

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Aug 15 17:08:44 UTC 2014

On 08/15/2014 09:12 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 08/15/2014 11:00 AM, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
>> Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote on 08/15/2014 10:38:20 AM:
>>
>>> OpenStack is OpenStack. The use of openstack is also acceptable in our
>>> development conversations.
>>>
>>> OS or os is operating system. I am starting to see some people us OS or
>>> os to mean OpenStack. This is confusing and also incorrect[0].

>> I have seen "OS" for "OpenStack" from the start.  Just look at the
>> environment variables that the CLI reads.
>
> Yep, it's quite common and I think it's fine in the right context.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, Russell, "it's fine in the
right context".

The definition of the right context however is somewhat elusive. I have
chosen (it is my own fault) to place myself in the area where the folks
I deal with struggle with understanding context. The newcomers to the
third party space and folks creating stackforge repos don't have the
benefit of the understanding that core reviewers have (would I be
accurate in saying that it is mostly nova reviewers who have responded
to my initial post thus far?).

If the people making the decisions about when to use which term were
clear on the context, I doubt highly that I would have been motivated to
post.

However I am seeing confusion in the ability to chose terms appropriate
to context and wanted to do something if I could (sometimes I can't and
sometimes I outright fail) before too much more
assumption-of-agreement-due-to-lack-of-stated-disagrement took place.

I'm open to suggestion as to how to create a situation in which everyone
understands the right context. Right now I am feeling there is a gap and
it is only getting wider.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far everyone, I'm glad to get a
chance to talk about this.
Anita.