[openstack-dev] [nova][core] Expectations of core reviewers

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 15:40:06 UTC 2014

On 08/14/2014 10:54 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> [...]
>> after Hong Kong f2f too. So I wouldn't neccessarily say that we
>> needed another f2f meeting to resolve that, but rather than this is
>> a very complex topic that takes a long time to resolve no matter
>> how we discuss it and the discussions had just happened to reach
>> a natural conclusion this time around. But lets see if this agreement
>> actually sticks this time....
>>
>>> I can see the argument that travel cost is an issue, but I think its
>>> also not a very strong argument. We have companies spending millions
>>> of dollars on OpenStack -- surely spending a relatively small amount
>>> on travel to keep the development team as efficient as possible isn't
>>> a big deal? I wouldn't be at all surprised if the financial costs of
>>> the v3 API debate (staff time mainly) were much higher than the travel
>>> costs of those involved in the summit and midcycle discussions which
>>> sorted it out.
>>
>> I think the travel cost really is a big issue. Due to the number of
>> people who had to travel to the many mid-cycle meetups, a good number
>> of people I work with no longer have the ability to go to the Paris
>> design summit. This is going to make it harder for them to feel a
>> proper engaged part of our community. I can only see this situation
>> get worse over time if greater emphasis is placed on attending the
>> mid-cycle meetups.
>>
>>> Travelling to places to talk to people isn't a great solution, but it
>>> is the most effective one we've found so far. We should continue to
>>> experiment with other options, but until we find something that works
>>> as well as meetups, I think we need to keep having them.

>>> I agree. The ability to focus on the issues that were blocking nova
>>> was very important. That's hard to do at a design summit when there is
>>> so much happening at the same time.
>>
>> Maybe we should change the way we structure the design summit to
>> improve that. If there are critical issues blocking nova, it feels
>> like it is better to be able to discuss and resolve as much as possible
>> at the start of the dev cycle rather than in the middle of the dev
>> cycle because I feel that means we are causing ourselves pain during
>> milestone 1/2.
>
> Just speaking from experience, I attended the Icehouse meetup before
> my first summit (Juno in ATL) and the design summit sessions for Juno
> were a big disappointment after the meetup sessions, basically because
> of the time constraints. The meetups are nice since there is time to
> really hash over a topic and you're not rushed, whereas with the
> design summit sessions it felt like we'd be half way through the
> allotted time before we really started talking about anything of use
> and then shortly after that you'd be hearing "5 minutes left", and I
> felt like very few of the design sessions were actually useful, or
> things we've worked on in Juno, or at least high-priority/impact
> things (v3 API being an exception there, that was a useful session).
I have seen what you describe, and have also been at sessions where
there is active discussion for 15 minutes, all issues are resolved, and
there is still a bunch of time left. The issue you cited could be
addressed by accepting fewer topics and giving double or triple slots to
topics that are important and expected to need a lot of discussion. The
design summits are very useful for cores and newcomers alike and I would
hate to see that fragmented by people deciding to not go to summits.

Also, while I was glad I was able to attend the neutron mid-cycle, IMO
it is a reach to say that all those companies spending $$$ on OpenStack
would happily accept their travel budgets being close to doubled. Many
globally distributed companies have all the same issues internally and
have found hangout/teleconference type solutions not quite as good as
face to face but much better than just email and irc.

  -David