[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Review metrics - what do we want to measure?

James Polley jp at jamezpolley.com
Wed Aug 13 23:03:21 UTC 2014

In recent history, we've been looking each week at stats from
http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/tripleo-openreviews.html to get a
gauge on how our review pipeline is tracking.

The main stats we've been tracking have been the "since the last revision
without -1 or -2". I've included some history at [1], but the summary is
that our 3rd quartile has slipped from 13 days to 16 days over the last 4
weeks or so. Our 1st quartile is fairly steady lately, around 1 day (down
from 4 a month ago) and median is unchanged around 7 days.

There was lots of discussion in our last meeting about what could be
causing this[2]. However, the thing we wanted to bring to the list for the
discussion is:

Are we tracking the right metric? Should we be looking to something else to
tell us how well our pipeline is performing?

The meeting logs have quite a few suggestions about ways we could tweak the
existing metrics, but if we're measuring the wrong thing that's not going
to help.

I think that what we are looking for is a metric that lets us know whether
the majority of patches are getting feedback quickly. Maybe there's some
other metric that would give us a good indication?

--------

[1] Current "Stats since the last revision without -1 or -2" :

Average wait time: 10 days, 17 hours, 6 minutes
1st quartile wait time: 1 days, 1 hours, 36 minutes
Median wait time: 7 days, 5 hours, 33 minutes
3rd quartile wait time: 16 days, 8 hours, 16 minutes

At last week's meeting we had: 3rd quartile wait time: 15 days, 13 hours,
47 minutes
A week before that: 3rd quartile wait time: 13 days, 9 hours, 11 minutes
The week before that was the mid-cycle, but the week before that:

19:53:38 <lifeless> Stats since the last revision without -1 or -2 :
19:53:38 <lifeless> Average wait time: 10 days, 17 hours, 49 minutes
19:53:38 <lifeless> 1st quartile wait time: 4 days, 7 hours, 57 minutes
19:53:38 <lifeless> Median wait time: 7 days, 10 hours, 52 minutes
19:53:40 <lifeless> 3rd quartile wait time: 13 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes

[2] Some of the things suggested as potential causes of the long 3rd median
times:

* We have small number of really old reviews that have only positive scores
but aren't being landed
* Some reviews get a -1 but then sit for a long time waiting for the author
to reply
* We have some really old reviews that suddenly get revived after a long
period being in WIP or abandoned, which reviewstats seems to miscount
* Reviewstats counts weekends, we don't (so a change that gets pushed at
5pm US Friday and gets reviewed at 9am Aus Monday would be seen by us as
having no wait time, but by reviewstats as ~36 hours)