[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Aug 13 20:35:28 UTC 2014

On Aug 13, 2014, at 4:05 PM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> What “cross-project efforts” are we talking about? The liaison program in Oslo has been a qualified success so far. Would it make sense to extend that to other programs and say that each project needs at least one designated QA, Infra, Doc, etc. contact?
>
> ++1
>
> I've done this informally with DevStack and it has worked well enough that Ian is introducing a MAINTAINERS file where we'll record these 'delegations'.  For those areas that don't have obvious representation or volunteers I'll pick someone based on the commits for that feature.  That specific bit might not scale to other projects, but I think documenting some informal connectivity like this would be helpful.
>
> dt

That matches what we do in the Oslo incubator for code contributions. For the liaisons, we’re just using a wiki page [1] because I wanted people to be able to sign up without any sense of “approval” being needed (and without any delay having a LIAISONS commit approved). It’s quite likely that we’ll have a lot of turnover in Kilo, too, since I will ask everyone to volunteer again in case the projects (or current volunteers) want to rotate duties.

Those are are just implementation details, though. The key factor is asking for a specific name to be written down somewhere indicating that there is a volunteer, and then engaging with that person regularly (we reserve part of our weekly meeting for liaisons to raise issues they’re having in their project that need attention, for example).

Doug

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/ProjectLiaisons