[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Aug 13 20:08:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 03:43:21PM -0400, Eoghan Glynn wrote:

> > > You write as if cross-project efforts are both of fixed size and
> > > amenable to centralized command & control.
> > >
> > > Neither of which is actually the case, IMO.
> > >
> > > Additional cross-project resources can be ponied up by the large
> > > contributor companies, and existing cross-project resources are not
> > > necessarily divertable on command.
> >
> > What “cross-project efforts” are we talking about? The liaison program in
> > Oslo has been a qualified success so far. Would it make sense to extend that
> > to other programs and say that each project needs at least one designated
> > QA, Infra, Doc, etc. contact?
>
> Well my working assumption was that we were talking about people with
> the appropriate domain knowledge who are focused primarily on standing
> up the QA infrastructure.
>
> (as opposed to designated points-of-contact within the individual
> project teams who would be the first port of call for the QA/infra/doc
> folks if they needed a project-specific perspective on some live issue)
>
> That said however, I agree that it would be useful for the QA/infra/doc
> teams to know who in each project is most domain-knowledgeable when they
> need to reach out about a project-specific issue.

I actually hadn't considered doing a formal liaison program, like Oslo, in QA
before. Mostly, because at least myself and most of the QA cores have a decent
grasp on who to ping about certain topics or reviews. That being said, I realize
that probably is only disseminating information in a single direction. So maybe
having a formal liaison makes sense.

I'll talk to Doug and others about this and see whether adopting something
similar for QA makes sense.

-Matt Treinish