[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:41:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> is a cross-project solution.
>
> It's hard work, absolutely no doubt. The point again, though, is that it
> is possible to do this type of work in such a way that once a small
> number of projects adopt the approach, most of the others will follow
> quite naturally.
>
> If I was trying to get a consistent cross-project approach in a
> particular area, the least of my concerns would be whether Ironic,
> Marconi, Barbican or Designate would be willing to fall in line behind a
> cross-project consensus.
>
> > People are frustrated in infra load, for instance. It's probably worth
> > noting that the 'config' repo currently has more commits landed than any
> > other project in OpenStack besides 'nova' in this release. It has 30%
> > the core team size as Nova (http://stackalytics.com/?metric=commits).
>
> Yes, infra is an extremely busy project. I'm not sure I'd compare
> infra/config commits to Nova commits in order to illustrate that,
> though.
>
> Infra is a massive endeavor, it's as critical a part of the project as
> any project in the integrated release, and like other "strategic
> efforts" struggles to attract contributors from as diverse a number of
> companies as the integrated projects.
>
> > So I do think we need to really think about what *must* be in OpenStack
> > for it to be successful, and ensure that story is well thought out, and
> > that the pieces which provide those features in OpenStack are clearly
> > best of breed, so they are deployed in all OpenStack deployments, and
> > can be counted on by users of OpenStack.
>
> I do think we try hard to think this through, but no doubt we need to do
> better. Is this conversation concrete enough to really move our thinking
> along sufficiently, though?
>
> > Because if every version of
> > OpenStack deploys with a different Auth API (an example that's current
> > but going away), we can't grow an ecosystem of tools around it.
>
> There's a nice concrete example, but it's going away? What's the best
> current example to talk through?
>
> > This is organic definition of OpenStack through feedback with operators
> > and developers on what's minimum needed and currently working well
> > enough that people are happy to maintain it. And make that solid.
> >
> > Having a TC that is independently selected separate from the PTLs allows
> > that group to try to make some holistic calls here.
> >
> > At the end of the day, that's probably going to mean saying No to more
> > things. Everytime I turn around everyone wants the TC to say No to
> > things, just not to their particular thing. :) Which is human nature.
> > But I think if we don't start saying No to more things we're going to
> > end up with a pile of mud that no one is happy with.
>
> That we're being so abstract about all of this is frustrating. I get
> that no-one wants to start a flamewar, but can someone be concrete about
> what they feel we should say 'no' to but are likely to say 'yes' to?

I'll bite, but please note this is a strawman.

No:
* Accepting any more projects into incubation until we are comfortable with
the state of things again
* Marconi
* Ceilometer

Divert all cross project efforts from the following projects so we can
focus our cross project resources. Once we are in a bitter place we can
expand our cross project resources to cover these again. This doesn't mean
removing anything.
* Sahara
* Trove
* Tripleo

Yes:
* All integrated projects that are not listed above