[openstack-dev] [nova][core] Expectations of core reviewers

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Aug 13 18:33:50 UTC 2014

On 8/13/14 11:20 AM, Mike Bayer wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2014, at 1:44 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> I disagree.  IMO, *expecting* people to travel, potentially across
>> the globe, 4 times a year is an unreasonable expectation, and
>> quite uncharacteristic of open source projects.  If we can't figure
>> out a way to have the most important conversations in a way that is
>> inclusive of everyone, we're failing with our processes.
>>
>> By all means, if a subset wants to meet up and make progress on
>> some things, I think that's fine.  I don't think anyone think it's
>> not useful.

Well, it doesn't seem at all excessive to me, given the rate and volume
at which we do things around here. That said, if a significant number of
cores think it's not doable, then I guess that's a data point.

From what you said above, it sounds like you're okay with the meetings
but not the requirement for cores. I said "expect" above -- is that a
reasonable thing? Expect them to be present, unless they have a reason
not to be there? Reasons could be personal or preference, but hopefully
not "I never come to midcycles because $reason."

> It’s difficult to compare OpenStack to other open source projects, in
> that it is on such a more massive and high velocity scale than almost
> any others (perhaps the Linux kernel is similar).

Yeah, I have a hard time justifying anything by comparing us to other
projects. I've been involved with plenty and don't think any of them are
useful data points for what we should or should not do here in terms of
anything related to velocity :)

--Dan