[openstack-dev] Which program for Rally

Boris Pavlovic bpavlovic at mirantis.com
Wed Aug 13 11:55:36 UTC 2014

Matt,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 07:06:11PM -0400, Zane Bitter wrote:
> > On 11/08/14 16:21, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> > >I'm sorry, but the fact that the
> > >docs in the rally tree has a section for user testimonials [4] I feel
> speaks a
> > >lot about the intent of the project.

Yes, you are absolutely right it speaks a lot about the intent of the
project.

One of the goal of Rally is to be the bridge between Operators and
OpenStack community.
Particularly this directory was made to create a common OpenStack knowledge
base
about how different configuration & deployments impact on OpenStack in
numbers.
There are 2 nice things about using this approach for collecting user
experience:
1) Everybody is able to repeat exactly the same experiment locally, and
prove that it is the true
2) Collecting results by different Operators is absolutely distributed
process and scales really well.

Using this user stories OpenStack community (e.g. Rally team) will be able
to create a
"best practice" for  deployments configurations & architecture that should
be used in production.
And all this is base on real life experience (not just feelings).

. I personally feel that those user stories
> would probably be more appropriate as a blog post, and shouldn't
> necessarily be
> in a doc tree. But, that's not the stinging indictment which didn't need
> any
> explanation that I apparently thought it was yesterday; it definitely isn't
> something worth calling out on this thread.

PTL is not a dictator, it's just a person who collects opinion of project
team & users and manage work on project in such way
to cover everybody's use cases..
In other words you shouldn't believe or feel, you should just ask users and
community of the project: "what they think?".
In my case I asked Rally community and about 20 different Operators from
various companies and they like and support
this idea. So I would prefer to keep this section in code of Rally and help
with involving more people in this work.

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic