[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 13 09:54:58 UTC 2014

Rochelle.RochelleGrober wrote:
> [...]
> So, with all that prologue, here is what I propose (and please consider proposing your improvements/changes to it).  I would like to see for Kilo:
>
> - IRC meetings and mailing list meetings beginning with Juno release and continuing through the summit that focus on core project needs (what Thierry call "strategic") that as a set would be considered the primary focus of the Kilo release for each project.  This could include high priority bugs, refactoring projects, small improvement projects, high interest extensions and new features, specs that didn't make it into Juno, etc.
> - Develop the list and prioritize it into "Needs" and "Wants." Consider these the feeder projects for the two runways if you like.
> - Discuss the lists.  Maybe have a community vote? The vote will "freeze" the list, but as in most development project freezes, it can be a soft freeze that the core, or drivers or TC can amend (or throw out for that matter).
> [...]

One thing we've been unable to do so far is to set "release goals" at
the beginning of a release cycle and stick to those. It used to be
because we were so fast moving that new awesome stuff was proposed
mid-cycle and ends up being a key feature (sometimes THE key feature)
for the project. Now it's because there is so much proposed noone knows
what will actually get completed.

So while I agree that what you propose is the ultimate solution (and the
workflow I've pushed PTLs to follow every single OpenStack release so
far), we have struggled to have the visibility, long-term thinking and
discipline to stick to it in the past. If you look at the post-summit
plans and compare to what we end up in a release, you'll see quite a lot
of differences :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)