[openstack-dev] [nova] fair standards for all hypervisor drivers

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 00:03:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-08-11 at 15:25 -0700, Joe Gordon wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> >         On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 09:06 -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> >         > On 08/07/2014 08:06 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> >         > > It seems to me that the tension here is that there are
> >         groups who
> >         > > would really like to use features in newer libvirts that
> >         we don't CI
> >         > > on in the gate. Is it naive to think that a possible
> >         solution here is
> >         > > to do the following:
> >         > >
> >         > >  - revert the libvirt version_cap flag
> >         >
> >         > I don't feel strongly either way on this.  It seemed useful
> >         at the time
> >         > for being able to decouple upgrading libvirt and enabling
> >         features that
> >         > come with that.
> >

> >         Right, I suggested the flag as a more deliberate way of
> >         avoiding the
> >         issue that was previously seen in the gate with live
> >         snapshots. I still
> >         think it's a pretty elegant and useful little feature, and
> >         don't think
> >         we need to use it as proxy battle over testing requirements
> >         for new
> >         libvirt features.
> >

> > Mark,
> >

> > I am not sure if I follow.  The gate issue with live snapshots has
> > been worked around by turning it off [0], so presumably this patch is
> > forward facing.  I fail to see how this patch is needed to help the
> > gate in the future.
>
> On the live snapshot issue specifically, we disabled it by requiring
> 1.3.0 for the feature. With the version cap set to 1.2.2, we won't
> automatically enable this code path again if we update to 1.3.0. No
> question that's a bit of a mess, though.

Agreed

> The point was a more general one - we learned from the live snapshot
> issue that having a libvirt upgrade immediately enable new code paths
> was a bad idea. The patch is a simple, elegant way of avoiding that.
>
> >  Wouldn't it just delay the issues until we change the version_cap?
>
> Yes, that's the idea. Rather than having to scramble when the new
> devstack-gate image shows up, we'd be able to work on any issues in the
> context of a patch series to bump the version_cap.

So the version_cap flag only possibly help for bugs in libvirt that are
triggered by new nova code paths, and not bugs that are triggered by
existing nova code paths that trigger a libvirt regression. Furthermore it
can only catch libvirt bugs that trigger frequently enough to be caught on
the patch to bump the version_cap, and we commonly have bugs that are 1 in
a 1000 these days. This sounds like a potential solution for a very
specific case when I would rather see a more general solution.

> > The issue I see with the libvirt version_cap [1] is best captured in
> > its commit message: "The end user can override the limit if they wish
> > to opt-in to use of untested features via the 'version_cap' setting in
> > the 'libvirt' group." This goes against the very direction nova has
> > been moving in for some time now. We have been moving away from
> > merging untested (re: no integration testing) features.  This patch
> > changes the very direction the project is going in over testing
> > without so much as a discussion. While I think it may be time that we
> > revisited this discussion, the discussion needs to happen before any
> > patches are merged.
>
> You put it well - some apparently see us moving towards a zero-tolerance
> policy of not having any code which isn't functionally tested in the
> gate. That obviously is not the case right now.
>
> The sentiment is great, but any zero-tolerance policy is dangerous. I'm
> very much in favor of discussing this further. We should have some
> principles and goals around this, but rather than argue this in the
> abstract we should be open to discussing the tradeoffs involved with
> individual patches.

To bad the mid-cycle just passed this would have been a great discussion
for it.