[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Aug 12 18:08:18 UTC 2014

On Aug 12, 2014, at 1:44 PM, Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> up relevant issues here.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/ProjectMeeting
>

> >> We seem to be unable to address some key issues in the software we
> >> produce, and part of it is due to strategic contributors (and core
> >> reviewers) being overwhelmed just trying to stay afloat of what's
> >> happening. For such projects, is it time for a pause ? Is it time to
> >> define key cycle goals and defer everything else ?
> >

> > I really like this idea, as Michael and others alluded to in above, we are
> > attempting to set cycle goals for Kilo in Nova. but I think it is worth
> > doing for all of OpenStack. We would like to make a list of key goals before
> > the summit so that we can plan our summit sessions around the goals. On a
> > really high level one way to look at this is, in Kilo we need to pay down
> > our technical debt.
> >
> > The slots/runway idea is somewhat separate from defining key cycle goals; we
> > can be approve blueprints based on key cycle goals without doing slots.  But
> > with so many concurrent blueprints up for review at any given time, the
> > review teams are doing a lot of multitasking and humans are not very good at
> > multitasking. Hopefully slots can help address this issue, and hopefully
> > allow us to actually merge more blueprints in a given cycle.
> >
> I'm not 100% sold on what the slots idea buys us. What I've seen this
> cycle in Neutron is that we have a LOT of BPs proposed. We approve
> them after review. And then we hit one of two issues: Slow review
> cycles, and slow code turnaround issues. I don't think slots would
> help this, and in fact may cause more issues. If we approve a BP and
> give it a slot for which the eventual result is slow review and/or
> code review turnaround, we're right back where we started. Even worse,
> we may have not picked a BP for which the code submitter would have
> turned around reviews faster. So we've now doubly hurt ourselves. I
> have no idea how to solve this issue, but by over subscribing the
> slots (e.g. over approving), we allow for the submissions with faster
> turnaround a chance to merge quicker. With slots, we've removed this
> capability by limiting what is even allowed to be considered for
> review.
>
> Slow review: by limiting the number of blueprints up we hope to focus our efforts on fewer concurrent things
> slow code turn around: when a blueprint is given a slot (runway) we will first make sure the author/owner is available for fast code turnaround.
>
> If a blueprint review stalls out (slow code turnaround, stalemate in review discussions etc.) we will take the slot and give it to another blueprint.
>
> How is that more efficient than today's do-the-best-we-can approach? It just sounds like bureaucracy to me.
>
> Reading between the lines throughout this thread, it sounds like what we're lacking is a reliable method to communicate review prioritization to core reviewers.

It seems like this is exactly what the slots give us, though. The core review team picks a number of slots indicating how much work they think they can actually do (less than the available number of blueprints), and then blueprints queue up to get a slot based on priorities and turnaround time and other criteria that try to make slot allocation fair. By having the slots, not only is the review priority communicated to the review team, it is also communicated to anyone watching the project.

Doug