[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][InstanceGroup] metadetails and metadata in instance_group.py

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 23:01:38 UTC 2014

On 08/11/2014 05:58 PM, Jay Lau wrote:
> I think the metadata in server group is an important feature and it
> might be used by
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/soft-affinity-for-server-group
>
> Actually, we are now doing an internal development for above bp and want
> to contribute this back to community later. We are now setting hard/soft
> flags in server group metadata to identify if the server group want
> hard/soft affinity.
>
> I prefer Dan's first suggestion, what do you think?
> =====================
> If we care to have this functionality, then I propose we change the
> attribute on the object (we can handle this with versioning) and reflect
> it as "metadata" in the API.
> =====================

-1

If hard and soft is something that really needs to be supported, then
this should be a field in the instance_groups table, not some JSON blob
in a random metadata field.

Better yet, get rid of the instance_groups table altogether and have
"near", "not-near", "hard", and "soft" be launch modifiers similar to
the instance type. IMO, there's really no need to store a named group at
all, but that goes back to my original ML post about the server groups
topic:

https://www.mail-archive.com/openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org/msg23055.html

Best,
-jay