[openstack-dev] introducing cyclops

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Aug 8 18:13:06 UTC 2014

On Aug 8, 2014, at 3:34 AM, Piyush Harsh <harh at zhaw.ch> wrote:

> Dear Eoghan,
>
> Thanks for your comments. Although you are correct that rating, charging, and billing policies are commercially sensitive to the operators, still if an operator has an openstack installation, I do not see why the stack could not offer a service that supports ways for the operator to input desired policies, rules, etc to do charging and billing out of the box. These policies could still only be accessible to the operator.

I think the point was more that most deployers we talked to at the beginning of the project already had tools that managed the rates and charging, but needed the usage data to feed into those tools. That was a while back, though and, as you say, it’s quite possible we have new users without similar tools in place, so I’m glad to see a couple of groups working on taking billing integration one step further. At the very least working with teams building open source consumers of ceilometer’s API will help us understand if there are any ways to make it easier to use.

Doug