[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Is network ordering of vNICs guaranteed?

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Fri Aug 8 17:32:55 UTC 2014

I'm hearing "friend of a friend" that people have looked at the code and determined that the order of networks on a VM is not guaranteed. Can anyone confirm whether this is true? If it is true, is there any reason why this is not considered a bug? I've never seen it happen myself.

To elaborate, I'm being told that if you create some VMs with several vNICs on each and you want them to be, for example:

1)      Management Network

2)      Production Network

3)      Storage Network

You can't count on all the VMs having eth0 connected to the management network, eth1 on the production network, eth2 on the storage network.

I'm being told that they will come up like that most of the time, but sometimes you will see, for example, a VM might wind up with eth0 connected to the production network, eth1 to the storage network, and eth2 connected to the storage network (or some other permutation.)