[openstack-dev] [qa] Do I need a spec for testing the compute os-networks API?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 8 14:42:23 UTC 2014

This came up while reviewing the fix for bug 1327406 [1].  Basically the
os-networks API behaves differently depending on your backing network
manager in nova-network.

We run Tempest in the gate with the FlatDHCPManager, which has the bug;
if you try to list networks as a non-admin user it won't return anything
you can't assign those networks to a tenant.  With VlanManager you do
assign a tenant so list-networks works.

I don't see any os-networks API testing in Tempest today and I'm looking
to add something, at least for listing networks to show that this bug
exists (plus get coverage).  The question is do I need a qa-spec to do
this?  When I wrote the tests for os-quota-classes it was for a bug fix
since we regressed when we thought the API was broken and unused and it
was erroneously removed in Icehouse.  I figured I'd treat this the same
way, but it's going to require changes to the servers client to call the
os-networks API, plus a new test module.

As far as the test design, we'd skip if using neutron since this is a
nova-network only test. As far as how to figure out the proper
assertions given we don't know what the backing network manager is and
the API is inconsistent in that regard, I might have some other hurdles
there but would at least like to get a POC going.

I guess I can do the POC before the question of blueprints/specs needs
to be answered...

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1327406

Matt Riedemann