[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 05:14:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 03:56:04AM -0700, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 08/07/2014 02:12 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:

[. . .]

> >Excellent sugestion. I've wondered multiple times that if we could
> >dedicate a good chunk (or whole) of a specific release for heads down
> >bug fixing/stabilization. As it has been stated elsewhere on this list:
> >there's no pressing need for a whole lot of new code submissions, rather
> >we focusing on fixing issues that affect _existing_ users/operators.
>
> There's a whole world of GBP/NFV/VPN/DVR/TLA folks that would beg to differ
> on that viewpoint. :)

Sure. new code submissions might be exciting, and might not find it as
unalloyed joy to fix someone *else*'s bugs. People can differ, as long
as: there's a clear indication of commitment to stand by when bugs occur
and help investigate cross-project issues involving their work -- to me
this shows that they care about the project in long-term and gets you
more karma. Not just only throw some half-assed code (not implying they
do) and go about their ways. While users/operators have to find out the
hard way that it's a pain in the neck to even set up, or so fragile that
you sneeze and it all falls apart.

I like Nikola's response[1] and the 'snippet' he posted, which sets the
expectations in a crystal clear language.

  [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-August/042299.html

--
/kashyap