[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Aug 7 18:49:52 UTC 2014

On 08/07/2014 12:32 PM, Eoghan Glynn wrote:

> If we try to limit the number of WIP slots, then surely aspiring
> contributors will simply work around that restriction by preparing
> the code they're interested in on their own private branches, or
> in their github forks?
>
> OK, some pragmatic contributors will adjust their priorities to
> align with the available slots. And some companies employing
> large numbers of contributors will enforce policies to align
> their developers' effort with the gatekeepers' priorities.
>
> But I suspect we'd also have a good number who would take the
> risk that their code never lands and work on it anyway. Given
> that such efforts would really be flying beneath the radar and
> may never see the light of day, that would seem like true waste
> to me.

Is that a problem?  If such developers are going to work on their pet
project anyway, it's really up to the core team whether or not they
think it makes sense to merge the changes upstream.

If the core team doesn't think they're worth merging (given the
constraints on reviewer/approver time) then so be it.  At that point
either we accept that we're going to leave possible contributions by the
wayside or else we increase the core team (and infrastructure, and other
strategic resources)  to be able to handle the load.

Chris