[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Aug 7 13:33:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2014 09:07 AM, Sean Dague wrote:> I think the difference is
> slot selection would just be Nova drivers. I
> > think there is an assumption in the old system that everyone in Nova
> > core wants to prioritize the blueprints. I think there are a bunch of
> > folks in Nova core that are happy having signaling from Nova drivers on
> > high priority things to review. (I know I'm in that camp.)
> >
> > Lacking that we all have picking algorithms to hack away at the 500 open
> > reviews. Which basically means it's a giant random queue.
> >
> > Having a few blueprints that *everyone* is looking at also has the
> > advantage that the context for the bits in question will tend to be
> > loaded into multiple people's heads at the same time, so is something
> > that's discussable.
> >
> > Will it fix the issue, not sure, but it's an idea.
>
> OK, got it.  So, success critically depends on nova-core being willing
> to take review direction and priority setting from nova-drivers.  That
> sort of assumption is part of why I think agile processes typically
> don't work in open source.  We don't have the ability to direct people
> with consistent and reliable results.
>
> I'm afraid if people doing the review are not directly involved in at
> least ACKing the selection and commiting to review something, putting
> stuff in slots seems futile.

My original thinking was I'd set aside a "meeting time" to review specs
especially for doc issues and API designs. What I found quickly was that
the 400+ queue in one project alone was not only daunting but felt like I
wasn't going to make a dent as a single person, try as I may.

I did my best but would appreciate any change in process to help with
prioritization. I'm pretty sure it will help someone like me, looking at
cross-project queues of specs, to know what to review first, second, third,
and what to circle back on.