[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Proposal for slight change in our spec process

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 12:17:44 UTC 2014

Hi!

On Tue, 2014-08-05 at 12:33 -0700, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> Hi all!
>

> The following idea came out of last week's midcycle for how to improve
> our spec process and tracking on launchpad. I think most of us liked
> it, but of course, not everyone was there, so I'll attempt to write
> out what I recall.
>

> This would apply to new specs proposed for Kilo (since the new spec
> proposal deadline has already passed for Juno).
>

> First, create a blueprint in launchpad and populate it with your
> spec's heading. Then, propose a spec with just the heading (containing
> a link to the BP), Problem Description, and first paragraph outlining
> your Proposed change.
>

> This will be given an initial, high-level review to determine whether
> it is in scope and in alignment with project direction, which will be
> reflected on the review comments, and, if affirmed, by setting the
> blueprint's "Direction" field to "Approved".

How will we formally track it in Gerrit? By having several +1's by spec
cores? Or will it be done by you (I guess only you can update
"Direction" in LP)?

> At this point, if affirmed, you should proceed with filling out the
> entire spec, and the remainder of the process will continue as it was
> during Juno. Once the spec is approved, update launchpad to set the
> specification URL to the spec's location on
> https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/ and a member of
> the team (probably me) will update the release target, priority, and
> status.
>

> I believe this provides two benefits. First, it should give quicker
> initial feedback to proposer if their change is going to be in/out of
> scope, which can save considerable time if the proposal is out of
> scope. Second, it allows us to track well-aligned specs on Launchpad
> before they are completely approved. We observed that several specs
> were approved at nearly the same time as the code was approved. Due to
> the way we were using LP this cycle, it meant that LP did not reflect
> the project's direction in advance of landing code, which is not what
> we intended. This may have been confusing, and I think this will help
> next cycle. FWIW, several other projects have observed a similar
> problem with spec<->launchpad interaction, and are adopting similar
> practices for Kilo.
>

> Comments/discussion welcome!

I'm +1 to the idea, just some concerns about the implementation:
1. We don't have any "pre-approved" state in Gerrit - need agreement on
when to continue (see above)
2. We'll need to speed up spec reviews, because we're adding one more
blocker on the way to the code being merged :) Maybe it's no longer a
problem actually, we're doing it faster now.