[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 09:12:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:10:23AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> > We seem to be unable to address some key issues in the software we
> > produce, and part of it is due to strategic contributors (and core
> > reviewers) being overwhelmed just trying to stay afloat of what's
> > happening. For such projects, is it time for a pause ? Is it time to
> > define key cycle goals and defer everything else ?

[. . .]

> We also talked about tweaking the ratio of "tech debt" runways vs
> 'feature" runways. So, perhaps every second release is focussed on
> burning down tech debt and stability, whilst the others are focussed
> on adding features.

> I would suggest if we do such a thing, Kilo should be a "stability'
> release.

Excellent sugestion. I've wondered multiple times that if we could
dedicate a good chunk (or whole) of a specific release for heads down
bug fixing/stabilization. As it has been stated elsewhere on this list:
there's no pressing need for a whole lot of new code submissions, rather
we focusing on fixing issues that affect _existing_ users/operators.

--
/kashyap