[openstack-dev] How to improve the specs review process (was Re: [Neutron] Group Based Policy and the way forward)

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 23:41:04 UTC 2014

On 08/06/2014 07:08 PM, CARVER, PAUL wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Mohammad Banikazemi <mb at us.ibm.com<mailto:mb at us.ibm.com>>
>   wrote:
>
>> Yes, indeed.
>> I do not want to be over dramatic but the discussion on the original "Group
>> Based Policy and the way forward" thread is nothing short of heartbreaking.
>> After months and months of discussions, three presentations at the past three
>> summits, a design session at the last summit, and (most relevant to this
>> thread) the approval of the spec, why are we talking about the merits of the
>> work now?
>>
>> I understand if people think this is not a good idea or this is not a good
>> time. What I do not understand is why these concerns were not raised clearly
>> and openly earlier.
>
> I have to agree here. I'm not sure whether my organization needs GBP or not.
> It's certainly not our top priority for Neutron given a variety of other more
> important functional gaps. However, I saw their demo at the summit and it was
> clear that a lot of work had gone into it even before Icehouse. From the demo
> it was clearly a useful enhancement to Neutron even if it wasn't at the top
> of my priority list.
>
> For people to be asking to justify the "why" this far into the Juno cycle
> when the spec was approved and the code was demoed at the summit really
> brings the OpenStack process into question. It's one thing to discuss
> technical merits of contributions but it's totally different to pull the rug
> out from under a group of contributors at the last minute after such a long
> period of development, discussion, and demo.
>
> Seeing this sort of last minute rejection of a contribution after so much
> time has been invested in it could very easily have a chilling effect on
> contributors.

I don't disagree with you, Paul.

I blame myself for not paying the attention I should have to this
earlier in the process.

FWIW, I had a good conversation with Sumit and Kevin on
#openstack-neutron this afternoon about this particular topic. We agree
on some things; disagree on others.

Bottom line, I go back to what I said in a previous email: the Nova and
Neutron development teams need to do a much better job in being directly
involved in each other's spec discussions and design conversations.

Best,
-jay