[openstack-dev] [git-review] Supporting development in local branches

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Aug 6 21:03:05 UTC 2014

On 08/06/2014 01:14 PM, Yuriy Taraday wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com
> <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>> wrote:

>     Again, this is why the tests should pass against all of your commits.
>     If that's the case, you can verify your changes as you rebase before you
>     update the commit.
>

> Ok, one more time. You don't need to do rebase. You merge master with
> one local commit resolving dependencies in the process and then fix
> tests and everything with the second one. It's really simple.

Personally I find rebasing my current changes onto the latest upstream
to be an intuitive way to work.  That way it's obvious what changes I'm
making on top of the current upstream codebase.

In my view merging the upstream onto my dev branch only makes sense if
I've published my dev branch to someone and don't want to break their
history the next time they try to pull.

I would far rather rebase my current changes and explicitly resolve
conflicts than merge upstream on top of my changes and then fix
conflicts in merge commits.

Chris