[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron][Technical Committee] nova-network -> Neutron. Throwing a wrench in the Neutron gap analysis

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Aug 6 05:30:58 UTC 2014

On 6 August 2014 17:27, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:
> On 06/08/14 13:24, Robert Collins wrote:

>> What happened to your DB migrations then? :)
>

> Sorry if I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about running VM
> downtime here?

While DB migrations are running things like the nova metadata service
can/will misbehave - and user code within instances will be affected.
Thats arguably VM downtime.

OTOH you could define it more narrowly as 'VMs are not powered off' or
'VMs are not stalled for more than 2s without a time slice' etc etc -
my sense is that most users are going to be particularly concerned
about things for which they have to *do something* - e.g. VMs being
powered off or rebooted - but having no network for a short period
while vifs are replugged and the overlay network re-establishes itself
would be much less concerning.

Is there an ontology somewhere where we can settle on terms like this :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist