[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] [git-review] Supporting development in local branches

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 20:03:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Varnau, Steve (Trafodion) <
steve.varnau at hp.com> wrote:

>  Yuriy,
>

> It looks like this would automate a standard workflow that my group often
> uses: multiple commits, create “delivery” branch, git merge --squash, git
> review.  That looks really useful.
>

> Having it be repeatable is a bonus.

That's great! I'm glad to hear that there are more and more supporters for
it.

>  Per last bullet of the implementation, I would not require not modifying
> current index/HEAD. A checkout back to working branch can be done at the
> end, right?

To make this magic commit we'll have to backtrack HEAD to the latest commit
in master, then load tree from the latest commit in the feature branch to
index and then do the commit. To do this properly without hurting worktree,
messing index and losing HEAD I think it'd be safer to create a very small
clone. As a bonus you won't have to stash your local changes or current
index to run 'git review'.

--

Kind regards, Yuriy.