[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron][Technical Committee] nova-network -> Neutron. Throwing a wrench in the Neutron gap analysis

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 5 16:34:46 UTC 2014

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/101921/12/specs/juno/neutron-migration.rst

> > I personally believe that this requirement to support a live migration
> > with no downtime of running instances between a nova-network and a
> > Neutron deployment *is neither realistic, nor worth the extensive time
> > and technical debt needed to make this happen*.
> >
> > I suggest that it would be better to instead provide good instructions
> > for doing cold migration (snapshot VMs in old nova-network deployment,
> > store in Swift or something, then launch VM from a snapshot in new
> > Neutron deployment) -- which should cover the majority of deployments
--
> > and then write some instructions for what to look out for when doing a
> > custom migration for environments that simply cannot afford any
downtime
> > and *really* want to migrate to Neutron. For these deployments, it's
> > almost guaranteed that they will need to mangle their existing
databases
> > and do manual data migration anyway -- like RAX did when moving from
> > nova-network to Neutron. The variables are too many to list here, and
> > the number of deployments actually *needing* this work seems to me to
be
> > very limited. Someone suggested Metacloud *might* be the only
deployment
> > that might meet the needs for a live nova-network -> Neutron
migration.
> > Metacloud folks, please do respond here!

> I agree 100%. Although I understand the I think it's an unreasonably
> high burden in an area where there are many many other real pressing
> issues that need to be solved.

I will go a little further.  My focus is on workloads that are composed of
scaling groups (one strict way of saying "cattle not pets").  In this case
I do not need to migrate individual Compute instances, just shut down
obsolete ones and start shiny new ones.

Regards,
Mike