[openstack-dev] [qa] In-tree functional test vision

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Mon Aug 4 10:29:54 UTC 2014

In the "Thoughts on the patch test failure rate and moving forward"
thread[1] there's discussion of moving some of the burden for
functional testing to the individual projects. This seems like a good
idea to me, but also seems like it could be a source of confusion so I
thought I'd start another thread to focus on the details of just this
topic, separate from the gate-oriented discussion in the other.

In a couple of messages[2] Sean mentions "the vision". Is there a wiki
page or spec or other kind of document where this nascent vision is
starting to form? Even if we can't quite get started just yet, it
would be good to have an opporunity to think about the constraints and
goals that we'll be working with.

Not just the goal of moving tests around, but what, for example, makes
a good functional test?

For constraints: Will tempest be available as a stable library? Is using
tempest (or other same library across all projects) a good or bad thing?
Seems there's some disagreement on both of these.

Personally I'm quite eager to to vastly increase the amount of testing
I can do on my own machine(s) before letting the gate touch my code.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/thread.html#41057
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041188.html