[openstack-dev] [Ironic][QA] Ironic functional gate tests stable, thoughts on extending?

Adam Gandelman adamg at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 28 21:34:04 UTC 2014

Hi All--

We've finally got the check-tempest-dsvm-virtual-ironic passing
successfully in the Ironic gate.  Among other things, this test runs the
tempest.scenario.test_baremetal_basic_ops which is a functional
provisioning test directly stressing Ironic, Nova and Neutron as well as
devstack and diskimage-builder indirectly.  It is non-voting currently, but
will eventually move to a voting job once its proven stable.  I've also
proposed adding this to the non-experimental checks of Devstack, Nova,
Tempest, diskimage-builder and devstack-gate as the stability of the job is
dependent on all of them.  If you see this failing, please investigate
and/or ping me (adam_g).  There have been multiple breakages that slipped
into trunk over the last month or so that this test would have caught, and
I'd love for it do its job now that it is stable.

The current scenario test only tests the pxe_ssh driver.  As we begin to
think about things like the IPA and other new features in Juno, we should
also think about how they fit in to the current test framework.  I'd love
it if we can capture some thoughts on the list or in the IronicCI etherpad
[1] about what we'd like to test and how those test would look.  Its
important to note that Tempest is generally a blackbox test suite that only
has access to the various APIs (both admin and non) and guests via SSH, so
any assertions we hope to make must be possible by poking APIs or SSHing to
a provisioned node.

Any thoughts we can collect before and during the summit would be great.

Thanks,
Adam

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/IronicCI