[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal: remove the server groups feature

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Mon Apr 28 10:27:19 UTC 2014

Always happy to meet your expectations ;-)

Seem that where we mainly disagree is on the usability of the current Server Group API - and maybe we just need a wider range of views to see where the majority feeling is on that.

The folks we've got who have been looking for affinity/anti-affinity scheduling (we've been holding off from the previous filters because they include DB lookups) don't seem to find the Server Groups schematic confusing - you know you want to do something with a group of servers so you create a group, define the properties for that group, and add servers to it as you create them.

I agree there are a number of things needed to round this out (such as add/remove server, and some form of quota on the maximum size of a group), but I just don't see the  basic approach as broken in the way that you do - and I am worried that we end up spinning on much needed functionality if we start to rework it now.

The tagging approach  (if I understand it correctly) seems like it would start to introduce system schematics to values that are currently just user defined free text - which I think might lead to more confusion  / name-space clashes around which tags are now in effect reserved names and which are still user defined.   I think I prefer the clearer separation.

Phil