[openstack-dev] [Cinder][Nova][Keystone][docs] Version responses links

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 01:04:27 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> The documentation team noticed that we have links in the version
>
> For example, cinder includes a link to
> "
> http://jorgew.github.com/block-storage-api/content/os-block-storage-1.0.pdf
> "
> - and jorgew.github.com does not exist as host at all.
>
> The links we're concerned about are the links to WADL and PDF files.
>
> Even if we update the links to point to valid URLs, it takes away any
> flexibility for the documentation team to move files around on the
> server.
>
> Diane Fleming and myself therefore propose to remove all the WADL
> links completely and have the PDF links just point to
> http://docs.openstack.org. So, moving forward with Juno (unless this
> gets backported), the content would be valid.
>
> But what about existing installations that already include links? Some
> of the existing links work - or worked a few months ago before some
> files got moved around. We could try to fix docs.openstack.org so that
> the WADL and PDF links to docs.openstack.org (so, not the cinder example
> above) work somehow:
> 1) Add redirects to current versions of WADL and PDF
> 2) Add redirects to just http://docs.openstack.org/index.html
>
> Since this affects several projects and is somehow user visible, we
> brought it up for discussion here. Note that some of these links seems
> to be broken for a very long time. The proposed changes do not break
> programs using the API - just users that look at the result of it in
> existing installations.
>
> So, my proposal would be:
> * Remove WADL links

I think this is fine going forward (as we're focusing on the JSON
interfaces), but I'm curious to know if anyone thinks this would be a
backportable change. I'd like to consider it, but while these are
documentation links, a WADL link is potentially designed for machine
consumption, so this could potentially break someone. I don't know that we
maintain our WADLs well enough for them to be useful in the real world,
though.

> * Have PDF links to go http://docs.openstack.org

As mentioned in the code review below, this needs to be revised to
text/html if it's going to point directly to a website rather than a PDF. I
imagine this change should also be backportable for those APIs that have
been broken for "a very long time."