[openstack-dev] [Cinder][Manila]

Alun Champion prof at achampion.net
Sat Apr 26 23:18:32 UTC 2014

I'm sure this has been discussed I just couldn't find any reference to
it, perhaps someone can point me to the discussion/rationale.
Is there any reason why there needs to be another service to present a
control-plane to storage? Obviously object storage is different as
that is presenting a data-plane API but from a control-plane I'm
confused why there needs to be another service, surely control-planes
are pretty similar and the underlying networking issues for iSCSI
would be similar for NFS/CIFS.
Trove is looking to be a general purpose data container
(control-plane) service for traditional RDBMS, NoSQL, KeyValue, etc.,
why is the Cinder API not suitable for providing a general purpose
storage container (control-plane) service?

Creating separate services will complicate other services, e.g. Trove.

Thoughts?