[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal: remove the server groups feature

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 12:39:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:28:38 -0400
Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> > i) This is a feature that was discussed in at least one if not two
> > Design Summits and went through a long review period, it wasn't one
> > of those changes that merged in 24 hours before people could take a
> > good look at it.
>
> Completely understood. That still doesn't mean we can't propose to get
> rid of it early instead of letting it sit around when an alternate
> implementation would be better for the user of OpenStack.

Long term stability is also very important though - the balance
between perfect and "good enough". I think that raising the bar on what
we allow in the first place is really the key here (and that as
discussed previously may involve new features being considered
"experimental for a period of time).

> >   Whatever you feel about the implementation,  it is now in the API
> > and we should assume that people have started coding against it.
>
> Sure, maybe. AFAIK, it's only in the v2 API, though, not in the v3 API
> (sorry, I made a mistake about that in my original email). Is there a
> reason it wasn't added to the v3 API?

We did have a pretty strong rule for most of the Icehouse
development cycle to only merge new API features if the change was
added either first to the V3 API or at the same time as the V2 API.
However this (almost unintentionally) ended up getting relaxed whilst
all the V2 vs V3 API discussions were occurring. As a result there are
some features that were merged into V2 that we definitely need to now
add to the V3 API in Juno.

Since the V3 API is still experimental we have some flexibility, but
transition pain for those moving from V2 to V3 is still going to be a
factor in terms of what we want to support.

Chris