[openstack-dev] [Heat] looking to add support for server groups to heat...any comments?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 21:27:47 UTC 2014

On 25/04/14 16:07, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 04/25/2014 12:00 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>> On 25/04/14 13:50, Chris Friesen wrote:
>
>>> In the nova boot command we pass the group uuid like this:
>>>
>>> --hint group=e4cf5dea-4831-49a1-867d-e263f2579dd0
>>>
>>> If we were to make use of the scheduler hints, how would that look?
>>> Something like this?  (I'm not up to speed on my YAML, so forgive me if
>>> this isn't quite right.)  And how would this look if we wanted to
>>> specify other scheduler hints as well?
>>>
>>>    cirros_server1:
>>>      type: OS::Nova::Server
>>>      properties:
>>>        name: cirros1
>>>        image: 'cirros'
>>>        flavor: 'm1.tiny'
>>>        scheduler_hints: {"group": { get_resource: my_heat_group }}
>>
>> Something like that (I don't think you need the quotes around "group").
>> Or, equivalently:
>>
>>    cirros_server1:
>>      type: OS::Nova::Server
>>      properties:
>>        name: cirros1
>>        image: 'cirros'
>>        flavor: 'm1.tiny'
>>        scheduler_hints:
>>          group: { get_resource: my_heat_group }
>>

> Okay...assuming it works like that then that looks fine to me.

Cool, +1 for that then.

> If we go this route then the changes are confined to a single new file.
>   Given that, do we need a blueprint or can I just submit the code for
> review once I port it to the current codebase?

I guess wearing my PTL hat I ought to say that you should still raise a
blueprint (no real content necessary though, or just link to this thread).

Wearing my core team hat, I personally couldn't care less either way ;)
The change is self-explanatory and you've already done a good job of
consulting on the changes before submitting them.

cheers,
Zane.