[openstack-dev] [nova] [qa] EC2 status and call for assistance

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:33:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Alexandre Levine <alevine at cloudscaling.com
> wrote:

> Cristopher,
>
> FYI in regard to "
>

> Its the sort of direction that we tried to steer the GCE
> API folks in I
> cehouse, though I don't know what they ended up doing
>
> "
>
> We ended up perfectly ok. The project is on Stackforge for some time
> https://github.com/stackforge/gce-api. It works.
> I believe that this is exactly what should be done with EC2 as well. We
> even considered and tried to estimate it once.
>
> I can tell you even more that we do have lots of AWS Tempest tests
> specifically to check various compatibility issues in OpenStack. And we've
> created a number of fixes for proprietary implementation of a cloud based
> on OpenStack. Some of them are in EC2 layer, some are in nova core.

Any plans to contribute this to the community?

> But anyways, I'm completely convinced that:
>
> 1. Any further improvements to EC2 layer should be done after its
> separation from nova.

So the fundamental problem we are having with Nova's EC2 implementation is
that no one is maintaining it upstream.  If pulling EC2 out of nova into
its own repo solves this problem then wonderful. But the status quo is
untenable, Nova does not want to ship code that we know to be broken, so we
need folks interested in it to help fix it.