[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Exposing Ceilometer alarms as SNMP traps

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Thu Apr 24 14:48:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24 2014, Florian Haas wrote:
>
>> So for any inheriting subclass, the notify method signature is defined
>> such that action needs to be a URL. That doesn't make a whole lot of
>> sense for anything other than a ReSTful service. If we want to map
>> those to SNMP URIs, then there's RFC 4088 that describes that. But
>> those URIs, to the best of my knowledge, can't be used for traps.
>
> Actually you can use anything with URL, we could use something like:
>
> snmptrap://destination/oid?community=public&urgency=high
>
> And that would do it.
> (not sure about the parameters and all, I'm no SNMP trap connoiseur, you
> get the idea)

But that would be another case of wheel reinvention. To me the idea to
express an SNMP trap as a URI sounds rather ludicrous to begin with;
it doesn't get any more reasonable by *not* using the scheme that
someone else has already invented, and instead inventing one's own.

What does seem stranger to me in the first place is to require a
generic event action to be a URL.

What do others think?

Cheers,
Florian