[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Exposing Ceilometer alarms as SNMP traps

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Thu Apr 24 13:49:13 UTC 2014

[Dropping -operators from CC list]

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24 2014, Florian Haas wrote:
>
>> There are interesting side issues here, by the way, such as the fact
>> that Ceilometer alarms currently have no concept of severity, which is
>> somewhat crucial to the RFC 3877 Alarm model (and presumably, also for
>> other alarm use cases). But that's separate from the SNMP discussion.
>
> This is actually not a problem. You could specify a severity and various
> parameters as part as the custom SNMP URL you would specify in the alarm
> action field.

And down the rabbit hole we go. :)

Currently, AlarmNotifier says:

    def notify(self, action, alarm_id, previous, current, reason, reason_data):
        """Notify that an alarm has been triggered.

        :param action: The action that is being attended, as a parsed URL.

So for any inheriting subclass, the notify method signature is defined
such that action needs to be a URL. That doesn't make a whole lot of
sense for anything other than a ReSTful service. If we want to map
those to SNMP URIs, then there's RFC 4088 that describes that. But
those URIs, to the best of my knowledge, can't be used for traps.

Maybe it's time to define action more broadly at the abstract
superclass level? And let implementing notifiers set their own
specific requirements on its format?

Cheers,
Florian