[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer][gantt] Dynamic scheduling

Jiangying (Jenny) jenny.jiangying at huawei.com
Thu Apr 24 09:36:22 UTC 2014

Hi,
We have checked that gantt now just made a synced up copy of the code in nova.
We still think dynamic scheduling will be a benefit of the nova scheduler (or gantt later). The main difference between static and dynamic scheduling is that static scheduling is a vm placement problem, while dynamic scheduling deals with both vm selection and vm placement.

Our scheduling mechanism consists of three parts:
1.   Controller, which triggers the scheduling;
2.   Data Collector, which collects the resource usage and topo for scheduling;
3.   Core Scheduler, which decides how to schedule the vms;

We prefer to reuse the nova scheduler as the Core Scheduler, in order to avoid the possible inconsistent between static scheduling and dynamic scheduling. The vm selection function will be added into nova scheduler. For Data Collector, we expect to get the performance data from ceilometer and topo from nova.

There is still one question that where the controller should be implemented?
We regard implementing the controller in nova scheduler as the first choice. And we also consider extending ceilometer.(Ie. When ceilometer discovers an overload host, an alarm can be reported and it can trigger a vm evacuate.)

Do you have any comments?

Jenny