[openstack-dev] [nova] [qa] EC2 status and call for assistance

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Wed Apr 23 19:39:54 UTC 2014

On Apr 23, 2014, at 12:04 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>> We have a bunch of tempest tests we’re ready to push back that increase
>> coverage for the EC2 tests.  Also, rather than deprecating the EC2
>> pieces, which are in use by ~35% of the community, I’d like to recommend
>> we move them into Stackforge as we did with the GCE APIs.  That way
>> these can become optional components installed by those who want to use
>> them.  The other advantage is that they can be iterated on out of band.
>> I would still like to see them all in the CI system however.
>
> Assistance on Tempest would be highly appreciated. I'm a little saddened
> that there is apparently a large set of out of tree tests that this is
> the first we've heard of. These would have been good community
> contributions during the icehouse cycle. Tempest runs like any other
> part of OpenStack, so a giant dump isn't going to work, and it's going
> to have to be proposed in manageable and reviewable chunks.
>
> If people want EC2 in the main CI it needs to stay in Nova. It's either
> part of the project, and supported, or it's not, and it's not.

It wasn’t intentional.  More of a resource constraint issue than anything else.  Some of us are at small startups and it can be very challenging to prioritize beyond our immediate needs.  I’m in the process of standing up one of the largest OpenStack private clouds out there right now for a Fortune 10 company.  That kind of takes precedence.  I’m sorry this happens.  Your email fortunately catalyzed me to get off my arse, not to mention Joe Gordon prodding me.

If being in mainline is required for the CI system, then sure, I prefer the EC2 APIs stay there.  I think there should be some thought given to how to support StackForge projects as “nice to haves” in the CI system though.  Doesn’t really make sense for something to have to be suddenly thrown over the wall into integrated before being in some kind of CI pipeline.  StackForge, as I understand it, is the “official” place for incubating projects.  If so, should there be some kind of best effort CI system for those being incubated that have an intention for becoming integrated??  Maybe I just don’t understand how StackForge is supposed to work then.

We’ll get the new tests we have into some manageable chunks for review and inclusion into tempest mainline.

Thanks,

—Randy

Ps. Looping in Reliance as I believe they have skin in the game here as well.

Founder & CEO, Cloudscaling
Board of Directors, OpenStack Foundation
+1 (415) 787-2253 [SMS or voice]
TWITTER: twitter.com/randybias
LINKEDIN: linkedin.com/in/randybias
CALENDAR: doodle.com/randybias