[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] BBG edit of new API proposal

Stephen Balukoff sbalukoff at bluebox.net
Wed Apr 23 19:15:09 UTC 2014

Hi y'all!

As discussed in last week's IRC meeting, my team members and I have
produced a revised draft of the API v2.0 proposal started last week by the
Rackspace crew. (Thanks again for this, y'all-- this helped us get a heck
of a head start on our revised proposal.)

Our v2.0 API proposal revision can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/129Da7zEk5p437_88_IKiQnNuWXzWaS_CpQVm4JBeQnc/edit?usp=sharing

(I've enabled commenting on the above google doc, but for longer discussion
of fundamental issues, let's keep that to this mailing list, eh!)

Please also pay attention to the Introduction section of this document:
 I've defined which glossary of terms we're using there and provided links
to a proposed corresponding object model diagram and its source. Further,
I've pointed out decisions we made drafting this API as well as issues not
yet addressed. I would appreciate your feedback on all of this (again, the
discussions for which should probably happen on this mailing list).

To get to some of the points I know a lot of people will be interested in:

   - This proposal does include a single-call interface for both creation
   and deletion, and yes, all primitives can be created through it.
   - This proposal does include L7 functionality support, based somewhat
   loosely on the ideas represented here:
   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/LBaaS/l7
   - This proposal does include SSL termination and re-encryption support,
   based loosely both on what we already do in our envionment, as well as
   this: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/LBaaS/SSL
   - We have also tried to keep in mind features in use and requested in
   the following two documents as well:
   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/LBaaS/requirements
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar1FuMFYRhgadDVXZ25NM2NfbGtLTkR0TDFNUWJQUWc&usp=sharing
   - HA functionality is not addressed in this document, per se, other than
   expressing the conviction that however this is handled will probably not
   affect the user API expressed in this document. (We have an ongoing
   discussion about this going on in another mailing list thread-- and now
   that I'm not neck deep in API documentation I'll probably jump back onto
   this in the next couple of days.)

And... I think that's about it. Please have fun ripping this draft to
shreds!

Thanks,
Stephen

--