[openstack-dev] [Heat] Meeting time redux

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 19:12:40 UTC 2014

At the beginning of this year we introduced alternating times for the
Heat weekly IRC meeting, in the hope that our contributors in Asia would
be able to join us. The consensus is that this hasn't worked out as well
as we had hoped - even the new time falls at 8am in Beijing, so folks
are regularly unable to make the meeting. It also falls at 5pm on the
west coast of the US, so folks from there are also regularly unable to
make the meeting too. And of course it is in the middle of the night for
Europe, so the meeting room looks like a ghost town.

Since we are in a new development cycle (with the PTL in a different
location) and daylight savings has kicked in/out in many places, let's
review our options. Here are our choices as I see it:

* Keep going with the current system or some minor tweak to it.

* Flip the alternate meeting by 12 hours to 1200 UTC. (8pm in China,
late night in Oceania, early-morning on the east coast of the US and we
lose the rest of the US.)

* Lose all US-based folks and have a meeting for the rest of the world
at around 0700 UTC. (US-based folks include me, so I would have to ask
someone else to take care of passing on messages-from-the-PTL.)

* Abandon the alternating meetings altogether.

What would people prefer? I'd particularly like to hear from folks based
in Asia what times would enable them to regularly attend, while still
ensuring there are other people there to talk to ;)

thanks,
Zane.