[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Status of the agent driver

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Tue Apr 22 18:50:08 UTC 2014

Hi folks! Deva and I talked a bit more about the agent driver last night, and I wanted to give everyone a quick status update on where we stand with merging the agent driver into Ironic itself.

First off, we’ve taken all of the agent driver patches we had and squashed them into the main agent patch here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/84795/

That patch still depends on two other patches:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/81391/https://review.openstack.org/#/c/81919/

which should be close to landing.

The plan going forward is to continue to iterate on 84795 until it lands. Not everything is complete yet, but I would prefer it to land it and file bugs, etc. for missing features or things that are broken. The patch is already pretty large and getting a bit unwieldy.

What we know is not ready today (I’d like to land these in later patches, but feedback welcome on that):
* tear_down() is not fully implemented.
* Networking things are not fully implemented.
* More hardware info coming from the agent should be stored in the database (IMO).
* The agent and PXE drivers should have similar driver_info and instance_info - this is not true today.
* The agent currently relies on a static DHCP configuration rather than the Neutron support the PXE driver uses - which means the agent cannot be used side-by-side with other drivers today. This should be fixes but may take a fair amount of work.
* There are quite a few TODOs littered around - some are functional things, others are optimizations. If there are some that should be implemented before landing this, we’re happy to do so.

We would appreciate it if folks could start reviewing this patch, in case there are things I missed in this list.

One last thing: testing. We plan to add tempest tests for this driver sooner than later. I think having similar or identical driver_info, and using Neutron for DHCP, etc, will simplify these tests, and possibly converge them to one test. That said, I’d like to start writing the tempest tests now and converge as we go.

So, with all that, thoughts?

// jim