[openstack-dev] [Neutron] review hour?

Kyle Mestery mestery at noironetworks.com
Mon Apr 21 15:29:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM, marios at redhat.com <mandreou at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think both PTL candidates mentioned process improvements wrt
> contributions and reviews in their candidacy announcements. As a new
> Neutron dev I have seen that it is easy for reviews to go unnoticed,
> especially when they are stand-alone bug fixes that aren't part of a
> particular blueprint group (and so aren't discussed/highlighted at the
> various sub-team meetings). Of course this is also compounded by a
> seemingly heavy backlog of reviews. I realise that all core/non-core
> devs are doing as much as they can and though more cores will help, it
> takes a long time to develop people into this role.
>
> I was wondering if a 'review hour' would help. This is something Lucas
> Gomez told me about; the Ironic core team has a weekly hour slot in
> which they discuss x number of reviews and approve or -1 them. Besides
> getting reviews cleared quicker, it also opens the process up. It will
> allow new contributors to (more quickly) learn about the kinds of things
> core reviewers look for in a patch and also give real-time feedback
> (e.g. could just use #openstack-neutron for discussion during the hour).
> I feel that this could have an impact on the review backlog even if this
> only tackling the oldest 5 reviews for example.
>
> Do any of the core devs think this would be a good thing, and do you
> think you have the time for it?

This is an interesting idea Marios, thanks for proposing it! Are you
saying we should have a "Review Hour" on IRC, where we walk through XX
number of reviews as a team? That's an interesting idea actually, and
I'd be in favor of something like this. We could rotate timeslots so
as to get everyone on the team (both core and non-core) a chance to
participate.

Can you attend our weekly meeting today [1] where we can discuss this as a team?

Thanks!
Kyle

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Network/Meetings