[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] SSL re-encryption scenario question

Carlos Garza carlos.garza at rackspace.com
Sun Apr 20 13:08:03 UTC 2014

On Apr 18, 2014, at 11:06 PM, Stephen Balukoff <sbalukoff at bluebox.net<mailto:sbalukoff at bluebox.net>>
 wrote:

Hi y'all!

Carlos: When I say 'client cert' I'm talking about the certificate / key combination the load balancer will be using to initiate the SSL connection to the back-end server. The implication here is that if the back-end server doesn't like the client cert, it will reject the connection (as being not from a trusted source). By 'CA cert' I'm talking about the certificate (sans key) that the load balancer will be using the authenticate the back-end server. If the back-end server's "server certificate" isn't signed by the CA, then the load balancer should reject the connection.

    I see no problem with server auth as well as client auth making its way into the API.

Of course, the use of a client cert or CA cert on the load balancer should be optional: As Clint pointed out, for some users, just using SSL without doing any particular authentication (on either the part of the load balancer or back-end) is going to be good enough.

    It should be optical for the API implementers to support it or not. This is an advanced feature which would lock out many venders if they can't support it.

Anyway, the case for supporting re-encryption on the load-balancers has been solidly made, and the API proposal we're making will reflect this capability. Next question:

When specific client certs / CAs are used for re-encryption, should these be associated with the pool or member?

I could see an argument for either case:

Pool (ie. one client cert / CA cert will be used for all members in a pool):
* Consistency of back-end nodes within a pool is probably both extremely common, and a best practice. It's likely all will be accessed the same way.
* Less flexible than certs associated with members, but also less complicated config.
* For CA certs, assumes user knows how to manage their own PKI using a CA.

Member (ie. load balancer will potentially use a different client cert / CA cert for each member individually):
* Customers will sometimes run with inconsistent back-end nodes (eg. "local" nodes in a pool treated differently than "remote" nodes in a pool).
* More flexible than certs associated with members, more complicated configuration.
* If back-end certs are all individually self-signed (ie. no single CA used for all nodes), then certs must be associated with members.

    I'm not invested in an argument this far in.

What are people seeing "in the wild"? Are your users using inconsistently-signed or per-node self-signed certs in a single pool?
Thanks,
Stephen