[openstack-dev] Why does my Windows 7 VM running under Linux' KVM not use all the virtual processors?

shenwei9008 shenwei9008 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 02:36:38 UTC 2014

I hava a problem that in windows 7 VM about the number of vCPU. Then I set up windows instance and give it 8cores, and in windonw7 Device Manager I check out that there are 8 cores. But In cmd.exe execute “wmic->cpu get *" find it out that there are 2 single core, I don't know Why.  And I modify /etc/libvirt/qemu/instance-*.xml as follow:
<vcpu>8</vcpu>
 <cpu>
     <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
 </cpu>
But this is modified after VM is set up. In according to my need, before VM setting up, VM can be given 8 cores not 2 single core.

shenwei9008