[openstack-dev] [Nova][blueprint] Accelerate the booting process of a number of vms via VMThunder

lihuiba magazine.lihuiba at 163.com
Fri Apr 18 03:56:32 UTC 2014

> - _some_ libvirt drivers already have image caching. I am unsure if
>all of them do, I'd have to check.
 '$instances_path/_base' is used to cache images downloaded fromglance, in file-level. While VMThunder employs find-grained block-level cacheing, for volumes served by cinder.

> - we already have blueprints for better support of glance multiple
>image locations, it might be better to extend that work than to do
>something completely separate.
Is there a cinder multiple volume locations? We are considering to
support something like that.

> - the xen driver already does bittorrent image delivery IIRC, you
>could take a look at how that do that.
We are trying to do bittorrent image delivery for libvirt, too.

> - pre-caching images has been proposed for libvirt for a long time,
>but never implemented. I think that's definitely something of interest
>to deployers.

What is pre-caching? Deploying images to compute nodes before they
are used?

Huiba Li
National Key Laboratory for Parallel and Distributed
Processing, College of Computer Science, National University of Defense
Technology, Changsha, Hunan Province, P.R. China
410073