[openstack-dev] [infra][nova][docker]

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:59:19 UTC 2014

Hi Eric,

>> > As I really would like to keep a 1:1 matching with my current Devstack
>> > installation, have you tried to trick Dockenstack by modifying the
>> > localrc file to say Qemu as the driver ?
>>

> Not yet, but I'd like to. It has been a secondary goal at this point. I
> have successfully tested with the Libvirt-LXC driver, however.

OK, let me know if you plan to do this in the next weeks or if you need
support on it. Would be glad to help here.

>> > Of course, it will need to run the container in a privileged mode (and
>> > btw. building a Dockerfile with privileged mode is not yet possible) but
>> > it sounds possible.
>>

> It isn't necessary to build with a privileged mode, it only needs to run
> that way. Dockenstack already requires this for docker-in-docker anyway, so
> it's not an issue to require this for Qemu.

You're right, the requirements should be the same for Qemu/KVM as for LXC
or Docker. I was just pointing the fact that building in privileged mode is
something nice to have, but terrlbly missing now ;-)
I know there is a bug filled somewhere, chasing it in the next releases :-)

>> I was doing some experimentation this weekend on that, however with
>> straight up devstack in docker the fact that docker actively manages
>> /etc/hosts (it's not a real file, it's part of AUFS), complicates some
>> things. I also couldn't seemingly get rabbitmq to work in this env.
>> Honestly I expect that largely to be about hostname sensitivities, which
>> is why we muck with /etc/hosts so much.
>

> I had no problems, but I haven't tested Dockenstack with the Docker 0.9 or
> 0.10 releases, I last used it on 0.8.1.  I'll be updating the Dockerfile
> and testing it throughly with the latest Docker release once we merge the
> devstack patches.

Indeed, I had troubles when testing Rabbitmq on my own Docker install. How
do you manage this thru Dockenstack?

-Sylvain