[openstack-dev] [all] Branchless Tempest QA Spec - final draft

Jaume Devesa devvesa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 15:48:59 UTC 2014

Hi Sean,

for what I understood, we will need a new feature flag for each new
feature, and a feature flag (default to false) for each deprecated one. My
concern is: since the goal is make tempest a confident tool to test any
installation and not and 'tempest.conf' will not be auto-generated from any
tool as devstack does, wouldn't be too hard to prepare a tempest.conf file
with so many feature flags to enable and disable?

Maybe I am simplifying too much, but wouldn't be enough with a pair of
functions decorators like

@new
@deprecated

Then, in tempest.conf it could be a flag to say which OpenStack
installation are you testing:

installation = [icehouse|juno]

if you choose Juno, tests with @new decorator will be executed and tests
with @deprecated will be skipped.
If you choose Icehouse, tests with @new decorator will be skipped, and
tests with @deprecated will be executed

I am missing some obvious case that make this approach a nonsense?

Regards,
jaume